Point of Retreat (Slammed, #2)

Point of Retreat (Slammed, #2) - Colleen Hoover My suck and sweet:It sucks that I get to read these books at a time when everyone and their mother has already read (and re-read) it. But still, I want to put it out there how these books affected me -- a reluctant fan of the genre.Its sweet that I get to read it now: at a time when I know, no one gets a hall pass in life. No matter your age, what life-post you're currently in, whether you've done more good than bad or even when you've done nothing (yet), life will happen.I read Slammed and Point of Retreat without any idea what it's about. I just knew most of the people I know here has it in their favorites shelves and it had some poetry involved. I think its one reason I think I've put off reading it, poetry is a hit and miss for me. But the poetry in both books were just effortless in their beauty.The storytelling was beautiful in its simplicity. Each character was rendered, I feel with loving details. Colleen Hoover writes with a tempered hand: not tempered withholding some great angst waiting to be unleashed, but tempered like someone telling you about their outrageous day with the patience of... well, a very patient person :-). She makes it look so easy (when we all know it's not). She invites you to be part of a story which you can reminisce with the people you shared the reading experience with with its nuances: pumpkin carving, pink balloons, butterflies, stars, suck and sweet, etc. Its one of those great books that should be cherished but are best when they are shared.I read Slammed and Point of Retreat without any idea what its about and I ended up falling in love with it like everyone else. I think its difficult not to with a beating heart.