Succubus Blues (Georgina Kincaid, #1) - Richelle Mead 4 STARSI've been in a perpetual snit fit for not having enough time to actually sit down and read this at uninterrupted lengths but this surprisingly held my interest well enough against hectic workdays, birthdays and a bomb threat in the mall I was having lunch in: it was a dud but this one prevented me from noticing the frantic running for a good ten minutes. Not even kidding.Okay I'm not exactly Richelle Mead's biggest fan but this one worked really well for me. The heroine, Georgina, was easily likable. I liked her dorky details and the sharp wit that held in check a painful past. Add the fact that she's a succubus with a conscience and really it's so easy to amp up the ham and cheese factor on this one. But it mostly didn't. I've gone through a phase of reading borderline campy PNRs in the past (the Demonica series comes to mind) that were a lot of fun but for completely different reasons. Swing dancing and bowling were not among them."Are you always that rough with balls?" he asked finally."Most men don't complain."This one's entertainment factor was further buoyed up by an easy to follow plot and a set of supporting characters with their own adorable quirks and quote-worthy moments. I'm still laughing at you Peter. And Hugh sound suspiciously like he could've had a fondness for chinchilla fur and fedora hats. Lannister style.But what sets it apart is where Georgina's emotional strife and discontent stems from and the loneliness her choices brings. They're not paranormal at all and easily relatable even for someone who can't shift herself out of a bad hair day. She's really one of the well-layered heroines I've read of from this genre.I had a driving need to keep up surface appearances - hence the so-called "happy face." I'd smiled and nodded through the worst times of my life, and when the reaction had not been enough, I'd finally just run - even though it cost me my soul.That and what is possibly the most original idea of a hero in Seth. While he'd probably lose in an awesome shirt collection face-off with Gabe Merrick, Seth Mortensen, the shy, socially awkward, decaffeinated writer stands to re-write the conventions of where the pinnacle of hotness really lies. And it may involve doing laundry.And yet for all the originality Succubus Blues bore for me, it did get sluggish towards the last quarter, when the whoddunit gets answered. I liked that the plot was simple but the mystery was pretty transparent early on. This took my interest wandering and when the focus shifted to addressing the resolution, it got mildly annoying at the pace with which the obvious was revealed. But then the book ended with a very intriguing twist and plot developments that almost makes it impossible not to pick up the next installment as a reflex.Almost.