Everbound - Brodi Ashton 4 STARSHoly fudgenickels!I don't know how to review this, goshdarnit. I wasn't expecting to like it this much, Everneath was sort of a ho-hum read for me. I couldn't sympathize with the heroine, Jack (the hero) felt cardboard-y and the mythology was a bit difficult to latch on and keep my interest. My sole interest was with Cole because his moral ambiguity held such promise.Everbound picks up two months after the events of Everneath. Nikki is trying to find a way to rescue Jack from the Tunnels and has sought Cole's help. From the get-go, it reads like a different book. More kinetic, fast-paced and thank God, funny. Take Cole and Nikki's conversation after Nikki has repeatedly tried to steal strands of Cole's hair to get to the Everneath:"You'll go with me?" I said, incredulous. "Yes. But not because I have any feelings for you or I'm attached to you in any way. I'm just attached to my hair. Quite literally."Cole, Nikki and Max's journey to the Everneath read like a Christmas blockbuster movie. You could almost visualize the CGI-ed rings of Earth, Wind and Fire, the Wanderers and the Ouros scenes. My biggest issue with this series has always been the mythology. It wasn't solid in the first book and just got me more confused here. It felt at times like its building up and up but the glue that holds it together is too thin. I'm glad the secondary characters were kept to a minimum and kept my interest focused. Because there was a LOT to take in about the myths and the politics and what-not (at one point, I contemplated on making a graph just to keep track of the rules).The writing was impeccable and the storytelling was seamless. I loved how Jack and Nikki's story was unravelled and the stories themselves were charmingly bittersweet since Nikki was telling these stories to Cole . These stories were your standard YA-romance fare but they balanced out the fantasy-heavy themes well."But it's a race. Why did you wait for me?"He lifted his head so that his eyes met mine. "I will always wait for you." He took a deep breath, my ankle still in his hands. "I'm always waiting for you."I almost understand Nikki why she chooses Jack. Almost.See when it comes to heroes, I'd always pick the guy who'd probably burn everyone alive. Except maybe the heroine (accent on the maybe). Cole was the sole reason I picked up this book and man, he didn't disappoint. He was extra everything in this one: extra-snarky, extra-swoontastic, extra cunning.... The last 10% felt a bit like a cop-out though. There was a serious lack of precedent, I feel. That or I seriously need to revisit the first book. Was there ever any mention of the steps to becoming an Everliving? Because it felt like that just came out of nowhere x.x With that ending, I'm actually scared to read the next book because I love Cole's character too much and I don't want him to be predictable *grumble grumble*Then again, I was reluctant to pick this one out and look where it got me?