Old Blood - A Novella (Experiment in Terror #5.5)

Old Blood (Experiment in Terror, #5.5) - Karina Halle 3.5 STARSBut I'm rounding it up to 4 because the writing style is so very different from what I've come to know of Karina's but she pulled it off pretty well.I must admit, I wasn't really that curious of Creepy Clown Lady's backstory and I read this as a bridge to the Dex novellas. But it was engaging enough and provided great insight to some of the other characters in the series. The early chapters were sluggish and as this was told as though through the EVP recordings at the end of Lying Season, I felt the narrative (and the reader) will tend to get lost in itself and forget that Pippa is actually speaking to Dex and Perry in this one. But despite the rambling nature of the story and the slow start, one can't help but be sympathetic to Pippa. Her moments with Dex and Perry in their early years were all at once heartwarming and heartbreaking knowing what's already in store for them. Either way, I died with an aching heart for the things I suffered through and the things I loved. In the end, it’s all the same.In the end.While the events in On Demon Wings and this novella are fueling my speculative imagination on what's waiting for me in Into the Hollow, I can't say I'm not excited to venture into Dex' mind next.For that journey, I'm bringing a flashlight, road flares, a Bible and an extra change of underwear.