The Barrons of My Barrons is Your Barrons

Shadowfever - Karen Marie Moning

4.5 STARS

I have wrestled with this series for half a year and in the end, I'll just be one in 3 thousand something reviews of this book in GR. That's some 3 thousand reviews, 28 thousand ratings, 55 to 60 thousands stars between them.

And all of them SHOULD belong to Jericho Barrons.

I must confess, the impetus to picking up the book again was because I keep on running into Barrons here and in the book blogs I visit. What is it? What's the fuss?

*after the book*

Ohhhkayyyy.....

The Fever series started off well enough. I thought the premises were solid and had quite a Nancy Drew feel to it. Everything was a mystery and yet I get it. But towards the end of the series (around the end of Faefever and the entirety of Shadowfever), it just got... confusing. I figured my imagination was healthy enough for this series, but four books in, the question of What or Who the heroine and hero is has yet to be resolved, and every plot twist you kinda feel fatigued speculating. You lose the emotional investment you had for Mac and Jericho. Well, not much for Jericho because he is THAT interesting. But since this is mostly told from Mac's POV, there are lengths when you just get exhausted with her echoing your confusion. Having the narrator mirror your confusion doesn't make you feel better (the comfort in numbers doesn't apply here), it just makes you feel stuck and give you a godawful migraine.

It's also a good idea to set aside time to read this mammoth of a series (though I know the people who have not read these books are in the minority). It's not easy to keep track of the characters and I sometimes fail to maintain my interest with all that's going on (especially in Shadowfever). It's one of those series you have to plunk down and be focused enough and not be distracted enough by the real world to sustain that interest.

I'm glad I finished these books. I promised myself I'd not let the year pass not with DNFs in my pile. Dreamfever remains a favorite, hands down -- the intricacy of the plot wasn't in excess (which Shadowfever suffered from, sadly) and I still kept tabs on everyone in the plot.

There were moments of brilliance (all of them with Barrons as a common denominator, seriously) and moments that feel like pulling teeth. I'm almost sure things will be better with a second reading (I'm itching to read everything again right now when everything's still fresh) but I'm going to delay it for next year.

I may need to have a dose of reality with all that vague world building shiz I've been submerged to.