The Prince

The Prince (The Original Sinners) - Tiffany Reisz ETA: 5 days after, I'm still reeling. Haven't read a new book since. That scene where Kingsley kept saying je t'aime while Soren f*cks him rough but not saying anything still kills me! Will I ever recover? Good Lord!I really shouldn't have read this in six straight hours. But having the emotional quotient of a five year old and the addictive nature of this series kinda precludes any form of delayed gratification. I'm getting into the series quite late and I was happy to have had three books (and a bucketload of novellas and snippets from Ms. Reisz' website) already released... but then I just couldn't stop. And now, I'm part of the frustrated, (im)patiently awaiting fans for the next book to come out. Though I have to say, after reading The Prince, I'm much more anticipating The Priest (the first book in Nora's submissive years).The Prince is divided into Kingsley and Soren's past, their present and Nora and Wesley's present. I loved and 'hated' that these divisions were cleanly presented in a predicated order. Loved because flashbacks tend to muddle up the storytelling with overlaps (something happens in the past, then gets discussed in the present -- can get tedious), but this was not an issue for this book. Instead it provided great rhythm to the plot. I 'hated' it because every time the story shifts back to Soren and Kingsley's past I get a knot on my stomach... the emotional tension is too much at times. As being told from Kingsley's perspective, that kinda came as a surprise (who knew?). When you read it, there's a rhythmic pattern: tension (at St. Ignatius), curiosity (with the present mystery) and warmth (at Kentucky). It's like Ms. Reisz gives you the warm fluffies with Nora and Wesley then wallops a barely restrained punch when she shifts back to Kingsley and Soren's past. Its strange how I love these books. I like the plot but not as much as how I love the writing -- like walking briskly to work: with purpose. Often in other books I can't distinguish one for the other. The end/plot twist (if it can be called that because, really, can you call anything from this series an anything twist anymore?) was okay but The Siren and The Angel has kept me on my toes guessing til the last page that its predictability was a (very) slight disappointment. Now I'm going to crawl back into my reading space to read some YA novel to get frustrated and impatient. Because after this series, its hard not to be.