Divergent (Divergent Series #1)

Divergent - Veronica Roth 4 STARSMy back doth protest for having to lug this paperback AND my ipad around for the past 2 days. Because if I could set it aside and NOT read it at every lull in my day, I would. Out of the genres I poke my nose into, dystopian has had a pretty consistent streak for me. Though to be fair, I am coming in very late in the party and everyone else has had the taste of the kool-aid flavors so I'm picking my reads based on reviews. I'm also getting curious if there's any dystopian/eutopian novel out there where we, meaning humanity, doesn't end up killing each other and the setting isn't all acid rain and gloom. Now there's a challenge.I had a bit of difficulty in the beginning trying to keep track of all the information Roth was tossing. The story was very fast-paced and has a take-no-prisoners gritty feel to it. There are some scenes, however, that I found confusing and unclear (the ferris wheel scene, for example, I couldn't get a firm visual grasp on what was going on) that could've improved with better description. My mind ambles to where a certain plot point stands in the present and it could be a little distracting trying to tie them all up. It's one of those books that will probably mean something slightly different to me should I re-read it. For now, simplistically, Divergent is about self-discovery - how the paths you choose to get to finding who you are isn't always paved and well-lit and how there are no stop signs telling you you're done. The challenge doesn't end in the struggle to get there, it's also in knowing when you've arrived."The goal of my life isn't just... to be happy.""Wouldn't it be easier if it was, though?" he says. I did love Tris' character. Her POV and her conflicts were always sound. How she evolved was paced very well and I liked how she really sounds the part of how I assume a 16-year old girl living under these conditions would sound like. I loved her relationship with her mother but if there's one character I loved more than Four in this book, it was Mama Prior. I got a little disappointed on the lack of details as to how exactly did she know about the Erudites' plans when she wanted Tris to get a message to Caleb but she was a character so sparingly used but came across very effective in terms of plot advancement and emotional tugs."Somewhere inside me is a merciful, forgiving person. Somewhere there is a girl who tries to understand what people are going through, who accepts that people do evil things and that desperation leads them to darker places than they ever imagined. I swear she exists, and she hurts for the repentant boy I see in front of me.But if I saw her. I wouldn't recognize her."Also effective in "intense discussions" at the bank, the DMV or any driving related incidents (sorry, I am not the most patient driver) or when your boyfriend/husband is apologizing and you just want them to suffer just a little longer.I am also officially riding the Four is an Om-Nom Book Boyfriend bus. I'm not even going to explain, I'm just going to reference chapter 31 or Tris' simulation and after. Dear God, the after! I think my perviness grade just went a notch higher. But how I love that man-child. Like stalking in the bushes or twitter, send anonymous letters with magazine cutouts, posters in my frigging wall levels of love. What's even great for him as a hero is that you'd love Four not for how he is described physically (though if Mama Prior says he's hot, then I am not questioning the temperature) but for his heart and his words."I think we've made a mistake," he said softly. "We've all started to put down the virtues of the other factions in the process of bolstering our own. I don't want to do that. I want to be brave, and selfless, and smart, and kind, and honest." He clears his throat. "I continually struggle with kindness.""As do I, Four." I whispered back, clutching his hand to mine, "as do I."Ehem.