Lukewarm Than Hot

Hot Ticket - Olivia Cunning

"Wow. It just occurred to me that you're famous."

He chuckled. "Not really. Brian? Maybe. Sed? Definitely. But I'm just the bassist."

Off the top of my head: Paul McCartney. Adam Clayton. Flea. D'Arcy Wretzky.

Let's face it, bands rarely (almost never) get remembered for their bassist… except The Beatles because they're bigger than Jesus so rule exception. And unless you're a bassist yourself, going to your favorite band's show and having your CD signed by the bass player, be honest, that's a slight disappointment compared to snagging one from the lead singer. Even the drummer gets more attention.

Which, I think, easily made this book the best of this series yet.

Jace's insecurities, his emotional baggage, his feelings of being the perpetual outsider as the lucky guy who got to play with his favorite band isn't your usual rockstar fodder. He prefers fading in the background but he yearns to matter and fit in with his bandmates. It was a very original perspective and I liked how well the depths of his character were explored.

Laundry wasn't his favorite chore, but unlike the rest of his bandmates, he wasn't a slob. He just pretended to be messy in order to fit in better. He also pretended that he couldn't cook and that he didn't clean. None of them knew that he had a cat or that he talked to her as if she were a person. He was very careful to disguise himself around the guys. To be who they expected him to be, not who he really was.

The only way that could've been any more endearing and awesome is if Brownie (the cat) talked back.

Note to authors: talking cats make everything ten times more glorious.

It's been a while since I read Sed's book and I've forgotten how relenting the sex scenes could be, but this one thankfully had a healthy dose of angst from Jace and Aggie (whose full name is so endearing for a dominatrix) and band interactions to keep things balanced. Can I just say how happy I am to read about a band being a band? Outside performance kerfuffles and tomfoolery, I appreciate the effort of portraying The Sinners as a working band than a group of sex-crazed men who just happen to be in a band.

Interesting as Jace and his bandmates may be, Hot Ticket still falls for the usual traps of cheesy dialogue ("Don't play the music, let it play you." "I don't think so. I know so."), poorly founded relationship between the lead characters, an out-of-nowhere plot development bus accident. Of course. and Aggie as a puff pastry heroine. I liked that she was a dominatrix but somehow, outside the dungeon and towards the end, it didn't really add anything to her character. Maybe she's just very self-contained but her personality outside being Mistress V was quite stale. It's like she's just the hot stripper chick who just happen to be a dominatrix as well.

I wish there was some way to keep the band members from losing their edge after getting their HEA. I think this is a problem in this genre in that once the male leads (be it rockstars, bikers or billionaires) gets the girl they stop being interesting. These stories are sounding more like precautions on how getting a happily ever after makes one boring.

I do acknowledge that Eric was hilarious and Trey 's unrequited love for his best friend makes for an interesting plot line, but I don't know if I'm going to continue with this series as the books are progressively getting too long to hold my interest. Too long for the story it's trying to tell resulting in a very interesting build up, good sexy times followed by circular contemplative arguments in between then off-course plot progression that borders on crazy.

I can get as much entertainment (and more) from a gif minus the eyestrain.

worblaugh