SPOILER ALERT!

Blue Jean Baby, LA Lady, Seamstress for the Band...

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer (Necromancer #1) - Lish McBride

As they approached the yard, she could see scorched earth and broken doors. She tried to make sense of it. Had there been a flamethrower fight? A minotaur lay bleeding next to what appears to be a shredded lion. Tiny red hats were everywhere. A few men were lounging around a pretty Greek lady, and one guy was fighting the shrubbery.

Yep, it's that kind of frat party.

.image

Any other time, I think I may not have enjoyed this book quite as much as I did. Because coming at the heels of reading heavy, emotional books in close succession, a dragon, a couple of garden gnomes, a talking severed head and a Chinese zombie panda is exactly what I needed to restore some of my equilibrium. But for all the laugh out loud moments I had with this book (don't try drinking anything while reading any of Brooke's or Ashley's scenes. Seriously.) I still couldn't overlook my lack of connection with the characters and some continuity lapses in all that necromancing business.

I'm not even going to attempt to re-summarize this book's plot because just the sheer number of characters thrown in the mix is giving me a headache. I'm also not going to comment on the sloppily put together non-romance which I initially found refreshing and brave because that angle tends to distract me away from a story's weak points. I found it quite ballsy... that is until I started to wonder why it was even put in the story. Suffice to say this had a very messy start, a messier middle that thankfully drew to a good and relatively cleaner close in the end.

I suspect there's an 800-page version of this book somewhere that can better answer my questions about Douglas (how and why did he become evil?) and Brooke (shouldn't her head have died too when Douglas got killed? And if she didn't isn't that a big chunk of a clue that he ISN'T dead), a better backstory on Sam's and Bird Brid's families and longer moments in Plumpy's (such a sad name for a diner) to allow me to get to know the characters better beyond the wisecracks and snarky comebacks. I think I may like that 800-pager a little better… especially if it sticks to a single POV long enough for me to care about what happens to Sam.

I mean sure, I'm just using this book for the laughs but it helps the imagination when I get to know the characters a little…and yes that sounds like a romantic guy soliciting a hooker for some role-playing action, but I digress.

Here, I barely knew Sam beyond being the confused boy who have just discovered he has the power to raise and command the dead. Because half the time he's busy being a smartass while sleuthing about his past and/or trying to keep himself alive. EvenBird Brid was better developed than him, and she never even had her own first person narrative.

Truth be told, I found Sam just this side of amusing. It's the absurd situations the story presents me with that I found funny. I just found out that a talking decapitated head is right at par with a lolspeaking cat in its entertainment value… that makes you feel a little sad after a lengthy guffaw.

"When I see a commercial for restless leg syndrome, I start to cry, and I can't tell if it's because the commercials are so annoying or if it's because I'm jealous of their legs, restless or otherwise."

The entire plot feels like its resting on very wobbly logic but whatever's left of it standing and the way things ended has intrigued me well enough to add the next installment, albeit reluctantly, in my TBR pile.