Into the Hollow - Karina Halle You know you're riding an awesome train of a series when after all the hem-hawing and nitpicking, the worst rating you can give it is 4 STARS.This book picks up right after the end of The Dex Files (it will actually make sense even if you read this immediately after On Demon Wings but why would you want to do THAT?!) and Perry makes some big, life-altering, long overdue decisions. After surviving Seattle, demon possessions and The Thin Veil, you really can't fault her un-Perry-like drastic moves. Our heroine has changed.Then he was running towards me and for a moment I thought maybe something was wrong and that I should run too. Then I thought maybe something was right and I should run away.She's a little darker here, a little less stuntwoman and apple pies. But she's not alone in these changes. For Dex, the changes are bolder and starker... and I'm not really sold on liking these changes yet. I love his reasons of wanting to become a man deserving of Perry and he still has a lock on the wit and snark department but I kinda miss my Nicorette chomping, gym hating rockstar. I love how he stands out from the rest of the alpha-male hero prototype. I'll probably understand him better after reading And With Madness Comes the Light but for now, he feels kinda like a new pair of heels: uncomfortable and wobbly though very nice to parade around."No way you're not shooting me down, kiddo," Dex went on. "Because I'm not really trying. When I do try, you'll know it. And then you'll throw the whole damn rule book out the window."Mmm... tingly, right to the toes, but also not very Dex 1.0.Despite the growth in both characters, the chemistry is still ever so palpable, if not more electric. There's one epic fight between them that brought all their issues (including the ones I've been griping about! Yay!) in the seemingly harsh light of the morning. It was messy. It was painful. It was brilliant.This would have been an easy 5 for me if not for the sluggish middle 25% that was a bit of a struggle for me to get through. Dex and Perry's return to their old EIT shenanigans felt like a step back from how far the series has gone. I guess I was expecting the paranormal story in this one to be as tied to either characters as in the past 2 books. This was more in the tradition of Red Fox and Darkhouse which were definitely great, but not in the same league as the later books, IMO. There are new plot points uncovered that sets the table for the next books in the series very nicely. Despite my need to get used to all the changes Dex and Perry are going through, I'm jut glad that there IS change. If there's one thing you can never fault this series to be, it's being stagnant. I love how Karina pushes my limits as a reader, discovering things that I didn't know I liked in a book before reading this. I still think Lying Season is the fulcrum of the series but if my spidey sense is right about Ginger Balls Max and Dex 2.0 doesn't stray too far from the Dex that I've come to love and Perry just continues to be effortlessly awesome, I just know the best is yet to come.