Finding Never (Never say Never) (Volume 2)

Finding Never (Never say Never, #2) - C.M. Stunich “Sometimes they leave and they don't come back; sometimes that perfect, little butterfly gets out of the jar and flies away, flickers like a bit of fire across the sky and disappears. If you love it, you'll let it go. That's what they always say, but they Never tell you how to deal with the pain of their leaving." 3.5 STARSI'm gonna thank C.M. Stunich for actually putting it out that this is a trilogy. Keeps readers (namely, ME) from posting violent reviews coming across as stark, rambling idiots. This book was all over the place. There were moments of brilliance and wit that reminds me of The Opportunist and moments that went just off kilter. It's like going out on an awesome date and he's impressing you with being so cool and smart then he starts singing along the elevator muzak courtesy of one Englebert Humperdinck (who isn't exactly the epitome of coolness. EVER.) it was that kind of book. Cool and cheese. I don't know how that happened but there you go.So we pick up where Tasting Never ended, with Never and Ty on their way to Never's hometown, to see her family and a certain Noah Scott, for the first time in 5 years. I don't understand Noah Scott as the other leg in what I feel was the most crooked love triangle ever. What I don't get is why the author bothered to create someone so obviously inferior to Ty that Never's dilemma becomes ridiculous. I was waiting for Never to acknowledge this, to know that she gets it, that she's a different person then than now, but nope. Not a peep. Fine, he's rich, he loves her, he's a stable, normal alternative to the brooding, angst-ridden former whore Ty McCabe. He's supposed to be someone for her to aspire for. But spontaneous poetry-quoting, Latin quotes printed on a shirt wearing Noah Scott? I'm sure a subpopulation of women out there finds that attractive but to me, he just came across a pretentious douche. He named his dog after Never after she left, cause, you know, she's a bitch... But I get the impression that he did it out of love. Geez. And God, the poetry! It felt so forced it was painful. The words were beautiful but how it was wedged in conversational speech made the waste more starkly obvious because it was an ill fit.Never was a difficult narrator in this one. She describes a lot of the things unfolding before her with an angry, near-poetic rhythm but often goes off tangent that makes you wonder what it was she's talking about in the first place. Then there was that scene in the bar where she confronts the reason why she left and she has this lengthy speech that sounded a lot like the speeches given by villains in movies telling the hero how he'd vanquish him and such. It was weird.This book was carried on the broad and beautiful shoulders of one Ty McCabe. Maybe its because we don't know the root of his pain yet but his motives and logic are absolute and clear, never confused. Such a shame as he often disappears in the background (meaning from Nev's mind) but whenever he's in the scene, the pages come alive. His still-yet-to-be-fully-revealed past is the best device going for this series to make me come back for the third.